Please note, some towns may have local ordinances that are more restrictive than Vilas County codes and ordinances. Contact your local town authorities to determine if your project is permitted under local town Ordinances.
- Vilas County Zoning Permit Application
- (This form is used for Zoning Permit Application, Demolition Permit Application, and Shoreland Alteration Permit Application)
- Vilas County Online Mapping Portal
- Wisconsin DSPS eSLA
- Wisconsin DSPS eSLA License/Credential Lookup
- Vilas County is proposing changes to the Vilas County Wireless Communications Ordinance. Click here to see the proposed changes.
- Vilas County is proposing changes to the Vilas County Zoning & Sanitary Fee Schedule. Click here to see the proposed changes.
- Changes to the Vilas County General Zoning Ordinance went into effect June 1, 2021. Among the changes are restrictions on garages on undeveloped property, changes to guesthouse requirements, and limits on permit renewals. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE UPDATED GENERAL ZONING ORDINANCE.
- Board of Adjustment - Hesselman Variance (#B5-21) Public Hearing - Town of Land o' Lakes (11/1/2021) Public Notice
- Board of Adjustment - O'Connell Variance (#B6-21) Public Hearing - Town of Arbor Vitae (11/8/2021) Public Notice
Please visit the Vilas County Zoning Office for a more in-depth listing of services.
- Conditional Use Permits
- Erosion Control & Mitigation Permits
- Investigation of Zoning Violations
- Non-Metallic Mining Permits
- POWTS Inspections
- Review & Approval of Sanitary Permits and Soil Tests
- Rezoning Petitions
- Sale of Ordinance Books
- Septic Maintenance Program
- Shoreland Alteration Projects (including grading, filling, and tree cutting)
- Solid Waste and Recycling
- Subdivision and Condo Plat Approvals
- WI Fund Program
- Zoning Ordinance Amendments
- Zoning Permits & Inspections
Frequently Used Documents
For additional documents, or more detail on Vilas County Zoning & Planning Department Programs, please see the web page for the applicable program or contact the Zoning Office at (715) 479-3620.
- Vilas County Zoning Permit Application
- Wisconsin Sanitary Permit Application (SBD 6398)
- Vilas County Floodplain Land Use Permit Application
- Vilas County Zoning & Sanitary Fee Schedule
- Vilas County Setback Diagram
- Vilas County Maintenance System Search Request
- Vilas County Mitigation Agreement
- Vilas County Onsite Inspection Request
- Vilas County Sanitary Easement Form
- List of Wisconsin licensed plumbers serving Vilas County
- List of Wisconsin licensed septic pumpers and inspectors serving Vilas County
- List of Certified Soil Testers serving Vilas County
Ordinance & Code
- Vilas County General Zoning Ordinance (updated 6/1/2021)
- Vilas County Shoreland Zoning Ordinance
- Vilas County Floodplain Zoning Ordinance
- Vilas County Private Sewage System Ordinance
- Vilas County Subdivision Control Ordinance
- Vilas County Wireless Communications Ordinance
- Vilas County Non-Metallic Mining Reclamation Ordinance
- Vilas County Metallic Mining Ordinance
- Vilas County Recycling Ordinance
- Vilas County Ordinance No. 18 (Highway Setback Ordinance)
- Wisconsin Administrative Code SPS 381 - 385
- Wisconsin Administrative Code NR 115
- Wisconsin Administrative Code NR 811-812
Location & Hours
Permits are available at the Vilas County Courthouse or by mail.
330 Court St.
Eagle River, WI 54521
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
To reach the Zoning Office: After passing through security, proceed straight ahead down the hallway, around the corner, and down the ramp. You will not need to use any stairs. Proceed straight through the purple double doors. The Zoning Office is the first office on the right, and the Sanitary Office is the second office on the right.
Please contact us at: (715) 479-3620 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any general questions, comments or concerns. If you have questions regarding specific properties, please contact the Deputy Zoning Administrator for that town at the addresses below.
Seven staff members serve the Zoning and Sanitary needs of Vilas County residents. If you have questions pertaining to a property or issue in a particular town, please contact the person under whose name the town is listed.